Thursday, May 15, 2008

EIDRIS,ETCETERA

LET THE (SWEET) MUSIC FLOW

It is incredible the quality of music coming out of Naija these days;if you thought it was just a copycatish hip-hop thing,better take a closer look.These guys and babes are really firing on all cylinders.

Asa and TY Bello crept quietly into our consciousness last year,and are now more addictive than breakfast.9ice's cross fuji-hiphop sound is defining the new street culture,and suddenly the american sound seems extinct.

I've played Etcetera's 'land of the rising sun' over three times already this evening,and I'm scared because the melody is still reverbrating in my head and I know I will have to play the song again.And again!.Forget that the title and words connote an Ibo anthem - that's not my concern at all.Etcetera's album is a powerful soft rock compilation;probably the best since Gbubemi Amas' 'grill' back in the 80s.In fact 'land of the rising sun' brings back refreshing memories of the mint fresh 'ereyon';great accoustic guitar,so cool.This is good music.

YES,THE KING IS BACK !

Please let's just give it to this veteran of the hiphop game,Eidris Abdulkareem.With his buddies Tetuila and Eddy they brought hiphop to the forefront.Then as if to make a statement he went solo and placed himself at the very top with that song we loved to hate,'mr lecturer'.Eidris made his mistakes with his clash with 50 Cent,but has displayed tremendous maturity in reconciling with both 50 and hitherto pain in da ass,Ruggeddy baba.Now,after a long long hibernation,the kano boy returns with a precise album that is exactly what you want to hear.Eidris shows he has been a good student of Fela.He makes a bold attempt at infusing afrobeat and Majek's pangolo
vibes into his hiphop music.I don't know how many copies this will sell,but Eidris Abdulkareem has earned my respect.

2 comments:

Babawilly said...

Hey, my Oga, thanks for stopping at mine. Would love to hear Edris' album. I hope not too much migidi shigidi frekifreki - raps on it.
I ref to Shakomo by remedies. I do english for school but me I no understand the raps on the song- however, i love the song well well

All good

Unknown said...

I'm not so much into the naija music scene cos I've been faraway from home for too long... maybe. but I'm definitely feeling Asa at the moment and just looove her so much.
It might help people like me if you put on something from youtube or upload some of the music you're talking about to your blog.

Thanks for your comment on my blog.