Friday, February 1, 2008

9ICE,NIYOLA,X-PROJECT...WHAT I'M LISTENING TO...

It's a cool beginning for Nigerian music in 2008.Who would have thought any song would push P- Square's twin bomb, Do me and Ifunanya off the top of the charts so soon?That's exactly what 9ice has achieved with Gongo Aso.Man me,I really love this song oh!It's the kind of direction I will like our hip-hop stars to follow;songs like this or RRR's Wetin Dey are welcome any day.Yes the hip-hop is noticeable,but the unique african feel is dominant all through,and you can't help but feel proud that these are products out of dear motherland.

Another big winner is X-Project's Lorile:exquisite,flowery,and positively infectious.You know I don't particularly envy those americana-sounding acts,but one that has really impressed me is Niyola.The tracks Let Go andTogether Again represent R'n'B at its best.It is obvious that this girl really and truly worked hard on her voice and on this album;whether the naija market will appreciate the product is a different matter entirely.With her chic physique and sexy aura,she only has one more hurdle to climb - an awesome stage presence.That done, she may well become the first super hip-hop diva we have been waiting for.By the way,did someone notice the brief about her relationship with da shogun (in All My Life)?That was a cute one ,baby!

No comments: