Thursday, February 14, 2008

A (MISSED) SHOT AT VALENTINE

Hope you had a great Valentine Day? Mine wasn't so cool I must confess,and I blame the absence of a public holiday on this most important day for this.

Madam (there's no way I'm going to use her name or even pet name here) is not in town,although with her it usually makes no difference:I do the romantic things all the time,particularly when my conscience pricks me - like when someone has cheated on someone (not necessarily referring to me hmm!) . Just take it that she knows I love her.

My valentine experience usually trips when it involves an adventure; and this year's promised to be one of such.I've been flirting with this tall ebony-black babe of the 'arsenal' family, who works with one of my Bankers, since the middle of 2007 but we never really got round to having a proper date.That until last week when I threw the valentine bait at her, and she got hooked.

We were to have lunch at the calaba restaurant inside the National Museum at Onikan,which was her choice, perhaps due to its proximity to her office and the fact that she wanted to have afang soup specifically.

Ten minutes to time, I was there, gave her a call and got her assurance that she will make it.And she did some thirty minutes later.She was just getting round to explaining how she had taken the trouble to clear her desk and delegate some duties when her phone roared.It was her supervising Director,and she was required to join him for some emergency marketing meeting in Ikoyi - in 30 minutes time! So much for good luck.I reeled out a long list of what I thought were justifiable excuses,but clearly this girl loves her job too dearly.The farthest she went was to tell the boss that she was already in another marketing meeting (with me,that is!).The man requested to speak with me,made some apologies, and that was it.My valentine adventure was over.I had a gift for her,but the mood wasn't right, so I didn't mention it.

Fortunately, the restaurant was near empty at the time,so I got a tender hug for my troubles.Apart from my bottled water,no food was ordered,so another consolation - money stays in the pocket.Not that it's really an expensive place,but sometimes you need to console yourself don't you?

Hope your day was better.

SHOW COMPASSION AT VALENTINE
Like I experienced after leaving the Museum Kitchen, how many times have you trekked along the Marina and beggars in different forms will 'harass' you for money? In how many of those instances did you respond with a gift?In how many of those instances did you look at the beggars (well,I'm referring to the physically challenged among them , not the area boys) with disdain and wished they would just leave you alone?

Valentine Day provides a unique opportunity to show compassion to the less privileged, and I recommend that we all make the most of it.I noticed that there is an inherent joy in giving.It also brings a sense of fulfilment, and of course peace of mind.

PUBLIC HOLIDAY FOR VALENTINE
It is regarded worldwide as the day of love, and love is the substance of life.So why don't governments all over the world declare February 14, St. Valentine's Day, a Public Holiday?Imagine the effect on estranged couples,the destitutes,America/Iraq war, or the Niger Delta Militants.Maybe Nigeria should lead the way.

1 comment:

laspapi said...

sad to hear your val's day went that way. The patient dog, however gets the fattest bone (or so). your time will come again.

A lot of begging in our country is organized crime so I'm not quick to give these millionaires money except I really feel a need to.