Sunday, January 13, 2008

BBA,OFUNNEKA AND ALL THAT CRAP

Whenever I think of the furore generated by Richard's so-called raping of Ofunneka in BBA 2, I get amused ,not really deciding whether to be dissapointed or elated.The whole thing just smacks of hypocrisy at its best (or is it worst ?).I mean even if we never saw Big Brother in Holland or UK, at least we saw BBA 1, so we can't pretend not to know what the show is all about.

Big Brother anywhere,wherever is an adult, absolutely x-rated show.It is purely entertainment for voyeurs- and there are many of them around.But at least the show is aired on pay -tv,which means there is an effective dicretion over who watches and who doesn't.By voluntarily enterring for the show Ofunneka had made a honest statement of the kind of person she is (which in my opinion should not in itself remove anything from her intergrty or self-esteem), therefore you wouldn't for instance say she is a Nun! And viewed within the context of the show,she actually performed "below expectation" by not giving in to the more amorous aspects of the BBA house.Didn't she always take her bath with her over-sized panties on?

Incidentally, my partner had been away and my libido was high when I first read about this rape thing (I mean the National Assembly had just querried the producers) so I scurried to my computer and searched the web with great expectation.I was dissappointed.Yes I saw images of drunk housemates behaving exactly as you would expect drunk people to.I saw people frolicking on the bed,under the bedsheet,and yes a finger playing games inside someone's panties(with the receiver clearly enjoying the moment!).But where was the sex,or better put,the rape?

What was the point in "banning" a show that had already run its full course?When people pay for pay-tv,what are they expecting - morning ride?Then what kind of signals are we sending to existing and potential foreign investors? Let's just admit that globalization has its "side effects".You can't eat your cake and still have it.

No comments: